Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, October 29, 2009

In the Bag

The Chick has been doing a lot of traveling with the youth group (as our pocketbook will attest) lately. A couple of the more recent ones have been weekender trips. But she pretty much always takes the same small suitcase. That works fine but I was recently at Hancock's and found this pattern.

By the way, if you live near a Hancock's, I would highly recommend getting on their mailing list. They routinely (almost monthly and sometimes several times in a month) put a certain brand of pattern on sale for $1 for several days. I got this one during a 5 for $5 sale on McCall's patterns. And I didn't have to buy 5 either. The marked price on the envelope is $13.95. Not too bad a deal.

I thought I might try making her a weekender duffle bag. Using some fabric I already had, this is what I came up with.

When I initially cut out the pieces, I thought there was no way it would be as big as I wanted. Well, it's slightly bigger. It worked out to just about a perfect size for a weekend away.

It's not exactly a way to tell the size, but that white spot over there is Nipper's tushie.

I still have to line it. This fabric is like a denim or canvas so I didn't put any fleece facing on it as suggested. That may be why I had to stuff it with the Sunday paper to show it to you. But I like it quite a bit. I love this color green ...

And the handy little pocket on the side.

The Chick probably won't be quite as fond of the fabric but this was my try out for the pattern. Now I should make one that she'll like, I suppose.

I'll just make the sacrifice and use this one myself.

Ah, a mother's love.

4 comments:

Nancy Tucker said...

Love it! You did a great job.

Amanda said...

That is super cute. It'll be perfect for the ladies' retreat. You might have to make yourself a matching handbag or something. Do we have a hancock's nearby? Oh, and where can I get embroidery floss? Do you know? Thanks in advance.

Amanda said...

Okay, I just went to the hancock's website and yes, we have one near us. And then I thought, hey, I've been in there. Good one Amanda.

Born Blonde said...

The Hancock's is up on Rivers next to Walmart and AC Moore (where consequently you can get embroidery floss). Hancock's has floss but it is not DMC which is usually the standard color chart most patterns require. AC Moore has DMC and, I think, most if not all the colors too. It's about the only place left around here that does. :(