Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Family

Life group sign-ups are going on again now at our congregation. They started this past Sunday. As our minister reminded us what they were all about and how it works, he made a statement that struck a chord with me. He mentioned that the groups are like little extended families within our larger family. And it occurred to me how much I love and enjoy my 'family' at this congregation.

The Chick and I were talking just the day or two before about how people who have family close don't realize how much easier their lives can be. Our little family of four has only lived near our extended family for about 2 years total. One of that was Hubby and I's first year of marriage. The remainder was right after Hubby left the army. If we want to plan something or go somewhere, we've never been able to just drop them off at Mom's (either one of ours) or their Aunt or Uncle's houses. The few babysitters they've had have always been the paid teen variety.

We don't expect to spend holidays with family either, unless its Christmas. We don't have Sunday dinners or impromptu meets at a restaurant. I don't run across any of my relatives in Wal-Mart or at the grocery store. My mother flew in especially last August so she could actually spend a birthday with our son. And getting to them is no quick trip in the car either. It's a 14 hour drive minimum. I'm not trying to complain. I'm just saying that I don't think that people who have family close by always recognize it as the blessing it is.

However, that is one reason our church family is so important too. We see it as the blessing it is. And on Sunday, I was noticing and realizing just how much I love those people. How much a family they are to me.

There was the sweet and funny 'uncle' type who teased the Chick about learning to drive. There was a grandfatherly codger whom I dearly love fussing about his car (the same model we have and like). Another slightly older 'uncle' who had to get in a high five from the Dude. There was the sister who tries to turn everything into an encouragement. And a sweet little nephew across the aisle whose face lit up when he noticed me and waved during service.

How my heart swells when I'm in their presence. Having our flesh and blood family close would be such a wonderful thing to us. I know I wouldn't take them for granted because we have lived so long without them. But I also know that this family that God gave us a is more than a blessing. Drawing us together as only He can has given us so much more than we could ever imagine. I feel such sympathy for anyone who would miss out on that.

No comments: