Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Older Movies

For the last couple of years, I have found myself trying to find older movies that are a little more family friendly than the 'family' films that have been coming out. I even posted about it here. Recently, we've gotten to watch a few more.

We watched the movie Short Circuit last week and the Dude, in particular, thought it was hilarious. While they make some sexual references in some of their conversations, it is still fairly tame compared to a few recent releases. And the references themselves either tend to go over my children's heads or get caught by TV Guardian.

While visiting in February, we raided my Dad's video stash and watched 1 Million Years BC. My brother didn't really remember seeing it and his wife had never seen it. Nor had Hubby. So I was about the only one who had the faintest idea of the plot or story line. None of us could help giggling over the special effects. One of my favorites was a closeup shot of an iguana superimposed over a far away shot of Raquel running and looking scared. I guess dinosaurs just weren't what they used to be.

I suppose that animal skin bikini made a lot of waves then but I see more skin at the beach or swimming pool now. That movie was practically Sesame Street compared to some we see now.

And then, more recently, we watched the original Clash of the Titans. That one was a quite a bit more racy than I remembered. The kids were unimpressed with the special effects but the story definitely caught their interest. I had forgotten about a couple of scenes at the beginning that fortunately came on when Dude was looking away and I could tell him to continue doing so for a bit. Actually the whole story is full of sexual innuendo and suggestiveness. So I probably wouldn't have let a young child watch it.

But Clash of the Titans did make an impression on me and it gave a pretty accurate, in my opinion, depiction of how those gods would have behaved. They were basically unethical humans with power. Their only desire was to fulfill whatever desire (or lust) they had at the moment without thought of consequences or how it might affect someone else. Humans were just playthings to them and if they got caught in the crossfire of the god's arguments or vengeance or desires, it was simply the human's bad luck.

What's more, after watching it, I realized how grateful I am that God, the one true God, isn't like that. Not only is He not like that but He is focused on us in a way that shows His loving care and generosity with us. No matter what happens to us, there will always be a reason that is both for our good and serving God's purpose. My favorite verse, Romans 8:28, tells us that.

And God, unlike the gods that humans conceived, isn't slave to His emotions or desires. What He does, whether with us specifically or not, is purposeful and loving. I'm really glad that my God is like He is (and I thanked Him for it). I don't think I would enjoy serving any other one, particularly one like me.

No comments: