Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Someone to Watch Over Me

We have this new thing we got to try out for our trip to Arkansas last weekend. It's called My Cot and it's like a toddler bed that folds out like one of those camping chairs. It's especially made for traveling with toddlers and is pretty inexpensive too. Especially compared to the other options I looked at.

The Rugrat does not do well with new situations when it comes to sleeping. She couldn't care less what we do or where we go during the day, but at night, we're supposed to be home where she can sleep in her room in her bed. So My Cot didn't go over any better than anything else has at first. Our hope is that eventually she'll go, "oh yeah, this is mine. I remember."

I always sit with her until she falls asleep when we're at someone else's house for that reason. She will still sniffle but stay calm enough to finally pass out. On the second night though, this time, she started to cry but then asked, "Momma, sit?" I told her that yes, I was going to sit with her. It was dark enough that she couldn't really see me. I never engage with her in any way either (I learned that with the Dude) -- not by talking to her or even looking at her. The point is just that I am there; a comforting presence in the room to help her go to sleep.

As I sat there that night, looking at the floor and not speaking, it occurred to me that God is sometimes like that. When we're in the dark, fighting our fears or temptations, He might not speak to us and we might not be able to see Him either. But His presence is there. His comfort is there. Letting us know just by sitting beside us that it will be okay... that He is with us no matter how frightening it gets.

When the Rugrat accepted that I was there, she fell asleep. Soundly. And didn't awaken again until morning.

Maybe that's what I need to do too. Accept that He is there so I can curl up in His comforting security and pass right through whatever is scaring me to morning light.

No comments: