Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mixed Message

I heard the other day on the radio that some group has decided to buy banners that say, "Why worry about God? Be good for goodness' sake." Or something to that effect anyway. Apparently it is intended to be helpful for those who get depressed at Christmas-time (I guess to remove the 'religious yoke' they have to bear at a 'religious holiday time'). While I don't agree with the message, the deejay pointed out that it might be good for people to read it and then think about where that goodness would come from. In a way, though it was never intended to, it might make them think about God.

I have to wonder if they are understanding the depression that might occur around Christmas-time though. I am a Christian and I sometimes get disgusted (and then depressed) by how much sooner each year they try to bring it in. It really irritates me then to hear them talk about how horrible sales were on the day after Thanksgiving. Of course they would be ... you've been selling Christmas since school started!

It also tends to be a holiday that is centered around family and family events. For those who don't have living family anymore or who don't have a whole family, I imagine it would be hard. We will face our first Christmas without my dad this year. No matter how great it is, it will be tinged with sadness because he isn't there too.

I think it is these people though that we need to reach out to. I really don't think a banner, no matter the intentions or the message, will help as much as being a 'family' in love to someone who doesn't have one. Maybe that's the message they should put on the banner.

No comments: