Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Go To People

I was thinking about 'go to' people yesterday as I sat in the church office. The secretary had called me in that morning because she had been awakened by a young couple who had an emergency and therefore wasn't able to work (at least very easily) in helping them. She was a 'go to' person for that couple.

I found myself thinking that I'd like to be a 'go to' person. I'd like to have friends who know that they could call or awaken me at any hour and I would be there for them. I'd like to be a person they could 'go to' in need. It's not that I am not willing to be there. I'm just not real sure that they know that.

I started thinking of my own 'go to' people. In Georgia, one was the preacher's wife, Ladonna. She was an awesome, close friend who I miss dearly. And, as it so happened, she was also the church secretary.

I was visited by one my own 'go to' people here in South Carolina while working yesterday. Juanita is her name. I'm not sure she knows that she is that for me but every time I've called she's been there. And it was not the first time I had thought that about her either. In the 10 years we've lived here, I've often been thankful for her presence and the consistent gift of herself.

The church secretary is another whom I consider a dear friend but I think she must be a 'go to' person for a lot of people. Not because of her position, but because of her personality. Her open, loving heart is a model of the kind of person I would like to become.

It just struck me that all the people I just listed here are older women (by a decade or more) than I. Maybe that's part of being a 'go to' person -- having experience that someone else can lean on. Or maybe it's just growing up and being a little less self-absorbed. I know I could use some of that.

I'd like to thank all my 'go to' people. When I grow up, if I ever do, I want to be like you. And your example is being used by God, I know, to teach me His will for me and just what His love is about. I hope He'll give you all a special blessing today.

2 comments:

Kim said...

You are definitely my "go to" person for all things culinary! (And I know that I could go to you for more than that, but that is a skill that I am very much lacking--and in need of--these days:)). In fact, I will copy and paste something I wrote yesterday to a friend while brainstorming a menu for another friend's baby shower. It was from a menu list that I was sharing with her:

"--homemade cinnamon rolls (______ said she would do this. If she falls through, I am going to prostrate myself before Shelia and beg her to makes some, b/c I have no idea how to:)"

So there you go:). I have no reason to believe that this person would not come through, but I was basically saying that you were my "go to" person in that case.

Aren't you lucky?:)

Born Blonde said...

I laughed out loud when I read that. You're so funny.

I am honored to be your food go to person. And for anything else you needed.

Thanks for the compliment. :)