Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Yen and Yang

We recently watched the movie Case 39 on dvd. I really didn't care much for it but there were a couple of places that caused me to ponder later so I don't know if it counts as a good movie or not. If you want to see it, I wouldn't read this though because no matter how vague I try to be I think I might spoil it for you.

At one of the points in the movie, the main character (who doesn't appear to believe in anything) is trying to convince another character as he is returning from church of the possibility that she is dealing with a demon. She asks him if he really believes in 'that stuff' or not. When I was a teenager, I remember reading about a survey of Americans that had a strange result. If memory serves, only about half or so seemed to believe there was a God. However, somewhere in the 90th percent believed that the Devil existed. How is that possible?

The character had come to believe in demons but still couldn't bring herself to believe in God. And her inquiry of her friend didn't serve to make her think either. She could feel free to question his belief in God (while not supporting her thoughts about the demon) without feeling like the same question in reverse applied to her. After all, if she could believe in demons, why couldn't she believe in God?

And, as far as I'm concerned, seek His help to deal with the demon? Poor Hubby had to listen to me repeatedly tell her in frustration to go to a church.

I think this must be some sort of trickery or scheme. Or maybe just part of the human condition. How many teenagers think they are living in Hell already but won't seek peace in Christ? Why are we so quick to believe in the existence of a demon, a Satan, or a Hell without recognizing that the opposite must be true too? I just don't understand this.

I know in part it is because many people see following Christ as being a slave. But those who are in misery living the opposite way often already see themselves as caught in a trap. I really feel for people in that situation and I hope that they will see that there is a way out.

So, I guess if a movie had me thinking such heavy thoughts later on, I have to count it as good even if I didn't think it was, huh?

No comments: