Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A "Simply Stylish Tote"

The other day I pulled out this pattern. I had cut out the pieces already but decided I needed some fusible web before I continued to make it a little stronger so I put it aside. But while the boys were gone last week, the Chick and I stopped by our local Hancock's and I grabbed some fusible web while I was there. Not to mention several 99 cent Butterick's patterns.

Later that day as the Chick labored over her project, I sewed up this cute bag. It isn't huge -- just purse sized. I should have taken a picture with something next to it for scale.

I didn't put a snap on it because I didn't think I'd want to use it as a purse. Now I wish I had. Because that's exactly what I've been using it for since Saturday.

My boss saw it and told me how cute it was yesterday. Then she was amazed and astounded that I had made it. The bottom and straps are from canvas I already had from a previous project and the patterned section came from a fat quarter that I paid a dollar for.

All total it probably cost around $2 to make this purse after the fusible web and fat quarter. I like it so much too. It's probably more fall than summer though. I may have to look through my stash and see what summery fabrics I have to play with.

The pattern is free on the HGTV website. You can find it here if you'd like to try it yourself. I might have added the ribbon trim but I didn't have any that went so well with my color choices as theirs does.

If you make one, be sure and tell me how yours turned out.

3 comments:

Nancy Tucker said...

Don't you just love those 99 cent patterns? You need to stop by the quilt store in downtown Summerville. Lindsey works there part-time.

Carol said...

I think you should open an etsy shop for all your creations. I would buy a bag like you made in a summery fabric!

Born Blonde said...

Thanks for the confidence. But if I had a shop I would feel obligated to sew and fill it up. I'm afraid it wouldn't be fun anymore. :)