Last week, I pulled out my Ana White plans for an American Girl bed and started cutting and building.
I think it's looking pretty good.
I have to admit that making your own toys and things can be pretty cost effective. The wood for this project cost me about $6 with some left over. The plywood was cut from left overs from a previous project and I used screws from a previous project as well.
I got a box of 50 two-inch long screws especially for attaching the rails for $3 but only used a few (I probably could have gotten a smaller package but knew I could use them for later projects) so the entire bed fell easily under the $10 mark with plenty to spare. I'll buy a little can of paint too but it will still probably be under $10 even so.
Yesterday, I sewed up the mattress using some scrap fabric.
By the way, if you decide to do this, make sure you do a lot of measuring while making the mattress. I made it twice using her instructions and finally just made a big pillowcase for the foam (left over from a previous project) and sewed it closed.
Actually, it seems like my brain just doesn't process things the same way hers does. Everything I make using her instructions, while it turns out well, does not seem to be spot on exact to her measurements. I'm not really sure why. But I do know this: sewing is my thing, not hers (by her own admission) and I still couldn't get the mattress to work out her way.
While I was at it and at Rugrat's continued insistence, I just made her a little pillow too.
Look how comfy she is. Again, the great thing about sewing for dolls is that they NEVER complain. hee hee
Now I just need to sand and paint the bed and we're good to go. I plan to paint it white. And Rugrat has requested purple bedding.
Guess I'll get on that next.