Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Building a Bed

Big Doll's luck is still holding out. She's been raking in the goodies and this was no exception.

Last week, I pulled out my Ana White plans for an American Girl bed and started cutting and building.





I think it's looking pretty good.

I have to admit that making your own toys and things can be pretty cost effective. The wood for this project cost me about $6 with some left over. The plywood was cut from left overs from a previous project and I used screws from a previous project as well.

I got a box of 50 two-inch long screws especially for attaching the rails for $3 but only used a few (I probably could have gotten a smaller package but knew I could use them for later projects) so the entire bed fell easily under the $10 mark with plenty to spare. I'll buy a little can of paint too but it will still probably be under $10 even so.

Yesterday, I sewed up the mattress using some scrap fabric.

By the way, if you decide to do this, make sure you do a lot of measuring while making the mattress. I made it twice using her instructions and finally just made a big pillowcase for the foam (left over from a previous project) and sewed it closed.

Actually, it seems like my brain just doesn't process things the same way hers does. Everything I make using her instructions, while it turns out well, does not seem to be spot on exact to her measurements. I'm not really sure why. But I do know this: sewing is my thing, not hers (by her own admission) and I still couldn't get the mattress to work out her way.


While I was at it and at Rugrat's continued insistence, I just made her a little pillow too.


Look how comfy she is. Again, the great thing about sewing for dolls is that they NEVER complain. hee hee

Now I just need to sand and paint the bed and we're good to go. I plan to paint it white. And Rugrat has requested purple bedding.

Guess I'll get on that next.

No comments: