Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Just a Little More

I love Chik-Fil-A. I have enjoyed their restaurants for a long time. Our local Chik-Fil-A often sends out texts for a free fries or milkshake or some other thing. There's no catch -- nothing else to buy. You just show the text and get it. It doesn't even matter if you go through the drive through.

Last night was one of those times. They sent out texts to get a free sandwich and, with the older kids getting dinner at a youth group event, Hubby and I (and Rugrat) decided to have dinner there. While waiting for our turn to order, we noticed the woman ordering in the line next to us.

The texts clearly say "one per person per text." I think that's pretty clear. But this woman wanted five free sandwiches for her one text because she had her children and, as she reasoned it, they were too young to have phones. So she was, while not acting ugly, being rather insistent about it.

We were a little appalled to be honest. We had not assumed that Rugrat would get a free sandwich too because she was 4. We didn't really understand why anyone would.

Later, in the car, we commented on it to each other. Hubby pointed out that he thought it was pretty nice that they were giving us one free sandwich. Nothing required them to do that. Yet rather than accept this gift from them, she insisted on more because she didn't think their gift was enough. And it, frankly, irritated us that she didn't believe the rule applied to her as well.

It occurs to me that I am often like that woman. God has blessed me immeasurably and my cup truly does run over. Yet I have to make a conscious decision to thank Him -- particularly when things are going well.

The lull of financial stability, health, and comfort distracts me into believing that I somehow deserve such luxury. While children all around the world-- true innocents -- starve and freeze and die from disease.

What's more, I sometimes catch myself thinking, "why can't I have that too?" It is not enough that I have a lovely home with twice as much space as my old home. I need new furniture or appliances. It is not enough that I am healthy. I also want to be a size 2. It is not enough that we have a full pantry and refrigerator. I want to eat this or that or there. What God has given me is not enough; I need more.

Ungrateful wretch! May the Lord always prick my conscience when such thoughts come. May I always have a tender heart that is open and humble, recognizing the bounty He has poured into my lap out of His loving generosity. May I always SNAP OUT OF IT -- this ad agency inspired discontent kind of thinking.

Whenever I get caught in that vicious circle of thought, the best thing I can do is start counting my blessings. Spending time doing that alone will keep me much too busy to be an ingrate. Forgive me Lord for such a selfish, greedy focus.

No comments: