Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, March 10, 2008

Monday's Meal

I got tagged last week by Kat's Krackerbox for a meme. I've never been tagged for a meme but I plan to post it tomorrow so we'll see what happens. Tune in tomorrow...

It was like 80 degrees a couple of days ago. Yesterday it was 36 when I got up. Today it was 39. All I can say about the weather is that Jesus must be coming soon.

It makes me think of winter though. And even though I am no fan of pumpkin, a LOT of my friends are a fan of this Pumpkin Bread. Its one of my favorites for the Visitor Basket ministry. And my friend Margie's husband has only gotten a couple of slices of the many loaves I've taken to her because she loves it so much. I'm afraid I can't give you a link. It came from one of those down home cookbooks that neighbors or friends put together. But here's the recipe for you.

Pumpkin Raisin Bread

2 1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 can or 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 cup oil
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup raisins

What I do:

I get out my stand mixer and let it do the work for me. Preheat your oven to 350. Mix together sugar, eggs, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and oil. Blend together the baking soda and water and add to the pumpkin mixture, stirring well. Mix in the flour and baking powder. Blend well. If you're using a mixer, stir in the raisins by hand.
Pour into greased loaf pans. I can usually get 2 full size loaves or several mini-loaves. Bake full size loaves for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Check mini-loaves after about 30 minutes and frequently after that for doneness. These freeze well if wrapped to prevent freezer burn. But mine usually don't make it that far. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Queen B said...

Sounds great! Thanks!!

bekster said...

Hey, you have probably already seen this, but I saw this today and it made me think of you and Keith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D704EyjbzBk&feature=related

I know there was a song that you had found before that was along these lines, but I don't remember if it was this one or a different one...

bekster said...

Also, I wanted to ask you if you knew of a recipe (similar to your pumpkin bread) for muffins or cake or bread, etc. that uses bananas and hearty grains. I have two quickly ripening bananas that look like they will soon be perfect to use in something like that, but just a little too ripe to just eat. I also have this toasted wheat stuff that is like cream of wheat, but toasted. It was kinda gross when I made it (like the flavor of toast with the texture of grits), but I thought maybe I could put it in muffins or something to try to use it up.

Any ideas?