Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, May 26, 2008

Monday's Meal

Happy Memorial Day!


I thought I should give you a recipe to do with grilling today, so I thought...

And thought...

And thought.

And I came to the conclusion that as a griller, I am very boring. I pretty much stick to hamburgers and hot dogs. I have occasionally grilled chicken but I'm not very good at it. It's not my fault really. I mean, honestly, how can you beat a good grilled hot dog. If I'm not careful, I'll eat three! And a hamburger. Or two. Plus all the sides. I know, more than you wanted to know. Oh, hey, and don't forget dessert!

But, I do have a side dish for you. My friend, Kisha, gave me this recipe which she played with from the back of a bag of broccoli slaw. Broccoli slaw is basically broccoli and carrots (sometimes red cabbage) that have been shredded like cole slaw. She told me how to make all of it, including the dressing. And now, it doesn't matter that Hubby doesn't really eat that much of it or that the kids only touch it to move it out of their way in the fridge. I love the stuff. And, by the way, the dish pretty much always comes back empty at potlucks and such. So pay no attention to the wierdos I live with. You'll love this stuff. By the way, it's kind of like Grandma's recipe for pie -- it goes by taste, touch, and guess-ture. Throw in what you like in the amounts you like. Here's the basic idea though.

Broccoli Salad

1 16 oz. bag broccoli slaw
1 - 2 cups broccoli cut into small crowns
1 small can pineapple pieces drained very dry
1/2 cup sliced almonds or sunflower seeds ( I put in 1/2 cup of each actually)
1/2 cup raisins
3 crispy slices bacon, broken into pieces
1 - 2 cups cole slaw dressing, as needed

Blend all together. Store in refrigerator.

To make dressing: mix equal parts mayo (or salad dressing such as Miracle Whip) and sugar, adding sugar gradually until it no longer 'tastes' like the mayo/salad dressing.

No comments: