Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, July 13, 2009

Monday's Menu

Well, you had to know it was coming. It is summer after all. And an amazing number of people own ice cream freezers. If you don't have one, you can pick one up at the thrift store for next to nothing. I have owned two now. The first I believe I got for about 2.00. It didn't have a manual and I had never used one before so I emailed the company and they sent me a copy of the manual at no charge (not even shipping). When it broke a couple of years ago, I purchased the one I now have for between 3.00 and 4.00 at the thrift store although I now wish I had forked out a little more for one there that doesn't require ice. But I wasn't thinking at the time.

I believe this recipe came from a recipe e-zine. I like this recipe because the eggs in it are cooked and it is more like the ice cream you buy at the store. I have never really cared for the 'taste' that home made ice cream typically had -- I assume that it comes from the raw eggs. This one I like. I think I might try making it with half and half next time I do though.

This is a base vanilla recipe. You can add flavorings once it's pretty much frozen if you like. In this case, we added only 6 crunched up Oreo's.

The ingredients are pretty simple. First you mix these up and cook them to a custard.

Then you chill the custard for at least an hour. We put it in overnight because I was planning to make it the next day.

Then you mix it with these ingredients and pour it into your ice cream freezer.


Start that baby up! By the way, make sure you have it put together right or it may run for 20 minutes only for you to find out it wasn't doing anything. Oops.

And when it's all done, it will look yummy and creamy. P.S. My freezer is a very large one. This recipe makes about a half gallon.

Even good the next day, after being in the refrigerator freezer overnight.



Frozen Custard

6 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups whipping cream
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

In medium saucepan, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, honey, and salt. Cook over low heat stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat metal spoon and reaches at least 160 degrees. Cool quickly by setting pan in ice or cold water and stirring for a few minutes. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least one hour. When ready to freeze, mix together chilled custard, cream, and vanilla. and pour into freezer. Follow manufacturer's directions to freeze. Transfer to containers and freeze until firm. Makes 2 quarts.

No comments: