Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Talents (again...sigh)

My ego has been getting stroked quite a bit lately at work. I was told that someone really preferred working with me last night. Then tonight, by a different person, I was told that I really rocked. While my boss is pretty good about complimenting your work when its done well, it's nice to get those kinds of comments from other people too.

I do have to watch myself though. I tend to work harder or better for people who notice that I'm working hard. But there can come a point when I get a little too full of myself. I've gotten better at reigning that in since I've gotten older but it still catches me sometimes.

And that's not just at work either. It can be about anything that I'm good at. I used to call myself the 'gap' girl. I've heard (and read) often enough that God gives each of us a talent to be used for Him. I was kind of depressed that I didn't seem to have any special skill. Then I decided several years ago, after different things happened that seemed to be evidence to the fact, that my special skill was filling in the 'gaps' until the right person got there. If that was what God created me to do, I was good with it.

In fact, I kind of enjoyed it. I got to try lots of different things and was never stuck doing something I hated because after a while someone who did it better (and would enjoy it) was there. The problem is that sometimes I get kind of tired of being the one who is pretty good at a lot of things but not really great at any one.

Working where I do though seems to fit me to a tee. I like working with the people there. The work itself isn't hard but changes enough that you don't do the same mindless thing every minute. Very few of the customers are hard to deal with (most of them are about to go home for a movie night so they have no reason to be grumpy). My boss is fabulous and, in fact, if she ever quits or moves, I will probably be very tempted to follow suit. And my family absolutely loves all the free rentals and the little discounts I get here and there.

So, if I'm filling in the gap here, who is this GREAT ONE that I'm doing it for? Because I might just get a little jealous. I guess I have to re-evaluate my special talents thing. Maybe I was right a few weeks ago when I was trying to do just that.

No comments: