Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Valentine's Idea

My crafty friend was showing pictures of the Valentine's crayons they made on her blog and it reminded me of one of the best received Valentine's crafts we ever did. So I thought I'd share it today. We have also made the crayons but not for any specific holiday or event. And I didn't think to put them in a mold therefore we just had boring old circles. But if you'd like to take a gander, it can be found by clicking here.

A few years ago, when he was in 2nd grade I think, the Dude and I decided to make play dough hearts for his class valentines. The recipe is ridiculously easy. And for some adding wow factor, we mixed in a packet of cherry Kool-aid with the liquid. This gave it some nice bright red color (although I think we might have added a couple drops of gel food coloring too) and a wonderful cherry scent.

We patted the finished dough out to about an inch and a half or two inch thickness and used a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut them into individual pieces. Dropped in a clear cellophane bag, tied with a ribbon, and with attached valentine tag, they ended up being one of the most popular ones that year. Even more popular than the candy ones! I do not lie. I was there.

They were so popular in fact that the teacher asked for the instructions and recipe. The next year as I was waiting to pick him up in the car line, she informed me that it was to be her Valentine craft that year.

Not many of the heart shapes made it out of the classroom. The smell is so wonderful that they just had to start right in kneading and shaping it. And that, of course, is the sign of any successful craft in my opinion. That it is enjoyed.

I originally got the idea from The Tightwad Gazette and that's where this recipe comes from too. If you decide not to use this idea, I still hope it inspires you to get crafty with your holidays. And you can, of course, use it for other holidays. Think of Blue Raspberry or grape and bunny shapes for Easter. Or green apple and a pumpkins for Halloween. Or let your child make the decision. It's a lot of fun!

Play Dough

3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups salt
6 teaspoons cream of tartar
3 cups cool water
3 Tablespoons oil
food coloring

DO NOT MAKE DOUBLE BATCHES AS IT IS VERY HARD TO MIX . Mix dry ingredients together in a big cooking pot. Blend all liquids together in a bowl. Combine with dry ingredients and cook over medium heat, stiring constantly. Remove from heat when dough pulls away from pan and can be pinched without sticking (about 5 minutes). Turn onto board or counter and knead until smooth and play dough consistency (if the color may transfer due to the heat, make sure you use a board that can be washed clean). Store in airtight container.

1 comment:

Mary J said...

Thanks for the spotlight!! :) Also, I wanted to tell you that I never thought of mixing in kool-aid to playdough! What a KOOL idea! This is on our list of to-do's. I am waiting on our latest batch of playdough to depart! :)