Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday's Menu

I was a little bored with our usual fare the other night so I yanked out my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and started flipping through looking for something new to make. This is what I found.

It was very good and the children even ate it despite the broccoli and 'red things' as they put it. It is, again, one of my favorite kinds of recipes -- flexible. I imagine you could use pork or beef strips rather than chicken. And it plainly says that you should choose your own veggies in the recipe. We had chicken, broccoli, and red peppers on hand so that is what I did. And it was wonderful.

Even with cutting up veggies, it was really quick to prepare too. I like this one!

The one thing I might change is that I would cook the sauce before adding it. It tells you to cook it in the pan center as it is ringed by chicken pieces. But I was afraid that if the sauce wasn't burning, the meat was. If it was in a saucepan to cook, I could make sure I got it as thick as I wanted without too much stress.

You see how good it looks though. Trust me. You should try this stuff.

Honey Glazed Chicken Stir-Fry

12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons vinegar
2 Tablespoons orange juice
4 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
4 cups cut up vegetables (such as broccoli, sweet pepper, onion, mushrooms, etc. )
2 cups hot cooked rice

Cut chicken into bite size strips. Set aside.
In small bowl, mix together honey, vinegar, orange juice, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Set aside.
Pour oil into wok or large skillet. Heat over medium high heat. Add vegetables and cook about 3-4 minutes or until desired tenderness. Remove from skillet.
Add chicken to skillet and cook until done. Push chicken to outsides of pan. If you have not yet cooked the sauce, pour it into the center of pan and cook until thickened and bubbly. If already cooked, add to center of pan and continue.
Return cooked vegetables to wok. Stir fry, coating chicken and vegetables in sauce for about 1 minute or so.
Serve over rice.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I love this recipe! I used to make it for Jesse when we were newlyweds. I haven't made it in a long time. For the veggies, I use a frozen bag of carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli. I wonder if I could make this again using turkey, since we can't do chicken.

Ella said...

I think you could make it with just about any kind of meat as long as you could cut it into strips.

I intend to try it.