Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Friday, May 27, 2011

A Growth Chart

A lot of years ago, I happened upon this book in the library (like maybe a decade ago or more). I liked it so much that I ordered a used copy from half.com. I think the book may have just gone out of print at that point. I have referred to it several times over the last few years. A lot of the projects are really sweet and I enjoy making them. A few baby gifts have even been born from it.


One of the projects in it is the one that I started sewing a couple of weeks ago and finished last night. If I ever put it down when I start it, it takes some motivating to get myself back to it -- mainly because of the state of my sewing stuff right now. I'm still looking for that shelving unit that will organize things for me.

The project is a growth chart for the Rugrat's room. I'm not sure why I wanted to make it so bad. One reason is because I want her room done in ladybugs and I apparently missed that trend last year or something. I finally gave up on finding bedding with actual ladybugs on it and went with a sort of flower thing. I figured the flowers can be the ladybug background. I've slowly been adding a ladybug this or that as I find or make them.

Now this will be there too:


The original pattern called for some gymnastically inclined bears but I wanted to go with the theme so I substituted ladybugs and flowers. Like the numbers and letters, I was going to make them out of felt and applique them on but I couldn't seem to get a ladybug cut-out that I liked. I tried a few and just got frustrated.

Then I hit on the idea of using t-shirt transfer sheets instead (you feed the sheets through your printer, cut around them, then iron them on to the fabric you're using). They worked like a charm. In fact, I was so pleased with the result that I decided to do the flowers too rather than using the felt flowers I had already prepared.

The tape is of course a standard sewing measuring tape. The idea for this is so simple yet I am really happy with how it turned out. Pretty much all the projects in her book are like that. If your library happens to have a copy, I highly recommend checking it out.

No comments: