Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, March 11, 2013

Monday's Menu

Please forgive the brevity of my last post. Apparently, I can post a title from my Kindle Fire but I couldn't figure out  how it might let me put something in composing part. Guess I'll give up on trying to use that.


We have a plethora of potatoes for some reason right now. It might have to do with them having been on sale and then again. Whatever it is, I have lots.

So this weekend I looked up a recipe for Au Gratin potatoes. I have never made them from scratch before but should have realized how easy it is. I'm not sure why I never tried before.

Even when you use the boxed potatoes, it takes about an hour to cook them so this recipe cooking time didn't really bother me.

And I love expanding my cooking horizons.


Au Gratin Potatoes

4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 onion, chopped
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (or colby jack)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a baking dish.

Mix together potatoes and onions, salting and peppering to taste (I used Lawry's seasoning salt). Pour into baking dish.

(Many reviewers suggested making double the sauce -- you can always make more if you think it needs it) In medium saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour and salt. Stir constantly for one minute. Whisk in milk in small amounts. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in cheese and keep stirring until melted. Pour over potatoes and cover dish with foil.

Bake 1 1/2 hours in oven.

No comments: