Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday's Menu

Last week, I peeled and cored some fresh peaches I had purchased at Aldi's and then prepared this recipe. I pulled it out of the oven, then walked across the living room to get the camera. This is what it looked like when I got back to take a picture:






Not one but two of the rascals who live here had dug in for a bowl. Suffice to say, it's pretty good stuff.

Peach cobbler is actually probably one of my favorite desserts. It ranks right up there with pecan pie in my book, maybe higher.

The recipe I've always used is the one made with Bisquick. But lately I've been using this one from Pioneer Woman's cookbook. It is the kind with a crust that rises up most of the way to cover the fruit. The reason I've changed is because I like recipes that I don't have to buy (or make) a specialty ingredient for. This one is like that.

Well, sort of. Don't get me started on how silly I think it is to buy self-rising flour. I don't understand our tendency to pay for (and then store separately) something with extra ingredients that take about 30 seconds to add in to the regular stuff. It just doesn't make sense to me.

That's why you will find my version of this recipe using regular flour and adding those extra three ingredients below. If you want the original check out her site here or her cookbook.



Fruit Cobbler
 
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/4 cups plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk
2 cups fresh (or frozen) berries or other fruit

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 3 quart baking dish with butter. In a bowl, whisk 1 cup of sugar with the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and milk. Whisk in melted butter.  Prepare fruit and pat dry. Pour batter into baking dish. Sprinkle fruit over top of batter. Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over fruit. Bake 1 hour or until golden brown and bubbly. When 10 minutes of cooking time remain, sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of sugar over the top. Complete baking time. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.

No comments: