Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

That Little "Plink"

I had several apples in the bottom of the fridge that had been there a while. I mentioned to Rugrat that I might make some applesauce. She was pretty happy about that idea.

So last night, I did just that while watching tv. I ended up with almost 3 little jars. The one that wasn't full enough to water process, I just put in the fridge to be used first.

Canning has always sounded like a hot, unpleasant, all day long lot of work. And it can be.

But the truth is you can make small batches of something in a short amount of time. I peeled and cut my apples while watching a sitcom. Combining tasks like that with something that is unproductive but enjoyable/distracting can make things go quickly.


Obviously, water processing is much easier than pressure canning but, more often than not, if you're just using up things in the fridge (like I was), you will be water processing since it's usually fruits that get old more quickly.

I know that I could probably have just frozen the extra too. But my freezer stays pretty full. And, in case of a power outage, these will still be safely sitting in the pantry.

Besides, hearing that little "plink" noise they make as they seal was a pretty satisfying way to end my day. It still makes me grin every time I hear it.

Even if there aren't as many little "plink"-s to hear.

No comments: