Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, June 9, 2014

Monday's Menu

It's summertime! And that means it's time for warm weather, picnics, and fresh garden produce.

And, of course, ice cream.

I've never been much of a homemade ice cream girl. It always tasted too 'egg-y' for me. I figured out that I liked recipes that cooked the eggs first but those are kind of hard to come by.

But I recently stumbled on a recipe that I really like on one of the real food blogs I read. We've had it now several times and even Hubby, who is usually for just running to the store for some, seems to think it's pretty awesome.

To me, it tastes like a rich, premium, french vanilla. I haven't bothered to add any other flavorings yet but you definitely could. It's just so good on its own that I haven't messed with it. I even made it the other night when a friend of Chick's was over hanging out. She thought it was pretty darn good too.

Below is half the recipe. My little ice cream machine is too small to make a whole recipe but you can find the original right here if you'd like to take a look. By the way, here's a tip if you have the kind of ice cream machine with the gel bowl that you have to freeze before using it. Freeze it upside down. Mine works so much better this way.

If you're like me and just not sure about home made ice creams, you could try out this half a recipe and see what you think first. It makes just enough for the five of us to have a scoop or two, preferably on a brownie or something. :)

Vanilla Ice Cream

1 3/4 cups heavy cream (you could substitute a small amount for regular milk but don't play around with it too much)
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/2 Tablespoon (1 1/2 teaspoons) honey
pinch salt

Mix well and freeze in ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions.

No comments: