Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"O" the Agony of Humiliation

Well, I finally did it. I went to give blood today and, if you've read the previous post about my giving blood, you know that I don't handle it well at all. However, if I eat right before I leave to go give, I usually make out okay with just a little dizziness. So off I go this morning, postcard in hand. Well, the first problem was that there was a misprint on the postcard. But I eventually found the right place (across the street basically from the printed one) and got in line. The news station here is having a big drive so they had the location in Summerville and another one in Mt. Pleasant. With all the advertising, they were getting a pretty good turnout. So it was fairly busy. I did manage to get in about a half hour after I got there though. But I was sitting there calculating how well my breakfast was going to hold up. I usually need to have eaten about a half hour before to do well. Unfortunately, with 15 min. travel time and another 20 - 30 or so waiting in addition to the time lost finding the right place, I was beyond my 'do well' time. However, I hadn't gotten hungry yet and since I'd eaten a granola bar on the way -- just to be sure -- I felt like I was good to go.

I made sure, as I usually do, to tell the lady who was drawing the blood that I usually get a little dizzy. She wanted to take precautions against that so she laid the chair back and got me a nice cold Sprite. Didn't I tell you before that the Red Cross is fabulous? Then here we went. Not one twinge did I have the entire time. No heat, no black spots, no nausea. I couldn't believe it when she said I had filled the bag already. I was doing cartwheels in my head. Yayyy! I did it! She disconnected me and gave me my little post-donation sheet. Then she put the chair back up and asked me to sit there a minute to make sure I didn't get dizzy. Nothing. I was about to swing my legs around and get up when... BOOM! It hit me -- the heat, black spots, all of it. Wham! I looked up at the lady, managed to get out "Oh boy. Here it comes." The next thing I knew I was on my back again in the chair and some woman was leaning over me asking me if I knew my name. You got it. I fainted. I guess I'm a southern girl after all.

They swarmed around me putting cold compresses on my forehead and the back of my neck. Someone turned a fan on me. Which is why I couldn't figure out the reason they had covered me with a paper blanket thing. I also couldn't figure out why my hiney was so cold. And, I suddenly realized, wet. Remember the Sprite. Uh huh. I passed out and in the process dumped a mostly full can of Sprite all over my own lap. As a result, I wore home a paper lab coat they gave me.

Probably the worst part was when they decided I would live but I needed to lay there a bit. They all went back to their stations and I could see around me. There were about a dozen pairs of eyes trained on me, watching the show. They always put the donor chairs in a big rectangle facing each other so the techs can move back and forth as needed. Of course, I wasn't terribly entertaining anymore so it didn't last long but it was all very embarrassing. When I made it to the 'recovery' table to have a cookie, one of the volunteers saw me there and asked if I was working too. The three others at the table kind of chuckled because we had been talking about it. So I had to explain in a teeny, self-depracating voice.

One thing I did learn is that Sprite, blood drives, and I do not get along well. If you remember, last time I dumped it on my neck and shirt. This time I went for lower regions. I think next time I'll ask if they have one in one of those toddler no-spill cups. Otherwise, I'll decline. I guess as long as they're willing to put up with me, I'll keep going. Keith says they probably don't mind since I'm an 'O.' I guess if nothing else I got this stylish lab coat.

No comments: