Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, July 21, 2008

Monday's Meal

Let's talk about breakfast.

I thought I would share my pancake recipe today. But I am a little afraid that you guys will think I am obsessed with breakfast. So, okay, I'll admit it. I am obsessed with breakfast. Before I even open my eyes in the morning, I am thinking about what to have for breakfast. I'm usually starving by the time I wake up.

So here's my rant (feel free to skip to the end of my rant):

I am cheap. Breakfast is one of the times they get you. You know what I mean. Honestly, how expensive is one egg and a sausage on a biscuit. I know because I make them. I can tell you this -- it's not two bucks. Or more. And that goes for a chicken nugget on a biscuit too. Even if you try to go cheap, a pastry or an over-sized muffin is still a buck or more. Don't even get me started on cereal -- especially since you're hungry again an hour later.

And let's not even talk about the fat. Or all the preservatives and artificial junk to keep it looking freshly made for the 2 weeks since it actually was.

And why do they get you? Because you're starving and you want something fast because you have to get the kids to school and your boss said not to be late and you've got errands to run.

Not to get on my high horse. I've been one of their victims too often. Which is probably why it irritates me.

Okay my ranting is done. If you wanted to skip the rant, here's where to start reading again.

So this is what I do (which I imagine is what most of you do too but I'll share anyway).
*I make extra biscuits and sausage and eggs (or leave off what I don't want), put them together and place them in a bowl or, for Hubby, wrap them in plastic wrap so he can easily carry them to work and reheat. I even put on a small square of sandwich cheese (1/4 of a slice). This works with chicken nuggets (the dude's favorite) and ham too.
*When I make pancakes (like the ones below), I freeze any extras to be reheated in the microwave for later.
* I occasionally make muffins and quick breads. If there are more than we can eat before they get rock hard, I freeze the extra. The quick breads I make into muffins or mini-loaves so they are easily carried to work for eating.
* We still have cereal but occasionally I will make this one instead of buying it.
* We make breakfast burritos with eggs, cheese, and a link sausage. Or cheese quesadillas.
* If I think the kids will have a problem with something I'm making for breakfast, I inform them the night before if possible. That way, I don't give in the next morning when they put up a fuss. There is no fuss. They already know its coming and have been reminded that I make things they like most of the time so they can try this one.
* If I want to make something fresh in the morning but will be pressed for time, I put all the dry ingredients in one bowl and cover. Then I mix the wet ingredients (which also usually need to be refrigerated) together and put in a covered bowl in the fridge. In the morning, I literally just dump them together, mix well, and cook.

Hope that helps you out. I always appreciate new ideas. Feel free to let me know if you have something that works really well. Oh, and here's the recipe that was promised. It was originally printed in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. One batch makes about 6 average sized pancakes so this is double to cover us all. For a really special treat, try sprinkling pecans or chocolate chips in the batter once you put it on the griddle.

Pancakes

2 cups all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk or buttermilk

Mix everything together, preferably with a whisk, until smooth. Approximately 1/4 cup batter makes a standard size pancake. Cook on a preheated griddle or skillet about 2 minutes, flipping when several bubbles appear in the batter on top.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I just got so many great ideas from you, we will soon add a toddler to our home (2 days and counting) and quick, easy breakfast ideas are most welcome. I made cream of wheat and oatmeal, put it in muffin tins, froze, popped out and put in zip lock, 2 small or 1 large is the perfect serving size for a little one. Keep the great recipes and ideas coming!

Born Blonde said...

That's a good idea too. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Congratulations!