Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It's a Flop

I had to work on Labor day evening and we wanted to do the free chicken strips promotion that Chick-Fil-A was having for our lunch, so there was no grilling out for us on Monday. But we already had some steaks thawed to cook out before we realized there wouldn't be a chance. We decided, then, to have them Tuesday night. I also wanted to make onion strings to go with the steaks because, well, they just looked really good.

So I got the steaks on the grill and then got my oil going for the onion strings. Things were moving well. The onion strings were just as good as the site promised. A wonderful aroma was coming from the grill outside. I had put on some chili beans to go with it all and they were coming along. And, hey, a nice workout too from running back and forth from the stove to the grill outside while tripping over the dog who was terribly interested in what was on the grill.

But that was the problem. Too much at once. I had a half a french loaf leftover from making garlic bread the week before and I decided to use it for the same purpose again. So let's count -- now I had steaks on the grill, onion strings in hot oil, beans bubbling in a saucepan, and I was buttering/preparing bread. Three of those four are things that have to be monitored pretty closely. Here were my comments at dinner:

My steak is burned on the bottom. It's hard to cut.
I don't like anything onion.
(translated - I don't care if it doesn't taste like onions, it has onion in the name therefore it must be nasty.)
Beans! I hate beans.

The only thing that went without complaint was the bread. I guess it wasn't a flop. I suppose I better leave my workouts to non-cooking venues.

And keep the bread, just in case.


1 comment:

bekster said...

At least that's not as dissapointing as when I made a beautiful, perfect lattice-work (i.e. little strips woven together) crust chicken pot pie... from scratch... the first I had ever made... and the DROPPED the whole thing on the floor. The crust was crushed... and so was I.