Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, March 30, 2009

Monday's Meal

Asparagus. Hmm. It is not an attractive vegetable. It doesn't even look edible to me.

I'd really like to know about the man that first saw it growing in the ground and said to himself, "That looks like good eatin'!" I'm not sure what he was like, but I think he must have been REALLY hungry.

But Hubby likes the stuff. And I know he's not REALLY hungry because I feed him pretty regularly. So, of course, once again, because I'm nice, I found out what I needed to know to try and make it.

I was truly surprised to find that I liked it. I mean truly surprised. Look at it. Wouldn't that surprise you?

One point for it.

Grilled asparagus is ridiculously easy to make. Ridiculously.

I grudgingly give it another point.

I don't know if everyone does this, but my sources (okay, my one source) said to peel the bottoms a little to remove those little bark-type things. (Honestly, who came to the conclusion this was edible? One look would've been enough to turn me away. But removing its bark!?! What am I, Tarzan? Okay, whatever.)

Then you marinate it in a tablespoon of olive oil about 15 minutes. And wasn't it nice of Tupperware to make a bowl that fits asparagus so well. I used a disposable zippie bag the first time I made it, but, hey, as long as we're eating bark, might as well protect the environment too, right.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then you pop it on the (electric indoor, in my case-especially when its raining so hard the animals are lining up in pairs outside the door) grill for between 5 and 10 minutes depending on how tender you want it.

I was hoping the steam coming off it would show. MMMmmm. So good.

Totally edible. Maybe there's a little Tarzan in me after all.



Grilled Asparagus

1 bunch asparagus
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
Salt and pepper

Prepare and clean asparagus. Coat and marinate in olive oil about 15 minutes (or longer -- great to make in the morning and allow to wait in the fridge until dinner). Place on preheated grill, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook about 5 - 10 minutes or until desired tenderness. Serve immediately.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're so funny! I love asparagus (and olive oil, and grilled stuff), so I'm excited to try this sometime. Did I tell you we liked your breaded chicken recipe? It was good:).
I'd never heard about the bark thing. What's the bark, again?

Born Blonde said...

Those little brown triangles on the stems -- hey, they look like bark to me. LOL

Thanks, it's nice to know that my mom isn't the only one reading my blog sometimes. :)You really encourage me.

bekster said...

I wish I had seen this like an hour ago when I was still at Publix (or, rather, before that since I can't get online in Publix). I do love asparagus, I just never think to get it. Oh well, I'll have to settle for broccoli.

BTW, this does look like a good way to cook it. Usually I steam my asparagus, but this way seems better.

Ann said...

Oh, I LOVE ASAPARGUS! Looks yummy!

And when our school makes it for lunch, I have the biggest plate-full!