Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday's Meal

With the economy having difficulties, a lot of people have been getting into couponing and home cooking. Some of us have been doing that all along; perhaps, not to this degree though.

One thing I discovered when I started some years ago trying to cook at home more is homemade mixes. Google "biscuit mix recipe" or something of that nature and you'll come up with all kinds of Bisquick clones that you can use. And there are lots of others too.

One of my tried and true mixes came from my good old favorite, Tightwad Gazette. She got it from a book called "Cheaper and Better" by Nancy Birnes that is no longer in print. I managed to snag a used copy some time ago but I'm not sure they're even around by now.

I can't remember the last time I actually had to buy one of those taco seasoning packets but it's literally been years. And another thing I love about this is you can season to taste rather than the amount some packet instructions tell you to.

I always mix up three times the original recipe or more because I keep it in a large container with a lid and I don't like to make it only as needed. Because it is just spices, you can store it almost indefinitely. If you don't need that much, just half or quarter the recipe.

I hope it will inspire you to find recipes for and make up some your own convenience foods.

Taco Seasoning Mix

6 Tablespoons chili powder
4 1/2 Tablespoons cumin
5 Tablespoons paprika
3 Tablespoons onion powder
2 1/2 Tablespoons garlic powder
3/8 to 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix together ingredients. Store in airtight container with lid. To use: sprinkle desired amount on cooked hamburger (I usually use about a two tablespoons or so) and add 1 cup water. Mix well and allow the water to cook out.

No comments: