Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Latchhook Love

A few days ago, while the Dude was spending the day with a friend, the Chick and I did a super purge of her room. It always starts with the closet. At least once a year, they each have to model pretty much everything in their closet and dresser so that we can get rid of things that don't fit or that they don't like (and hence won't wear so there isn't any point in keeping them). The Dude and I did the closet purge while the Chick was at her summer class the week before. With him gone, it seemed like a perfect opportunity to do hers. But she is somewhat of a packrat so it started with that and ended with a whole room makeover.

She was happy in the end because she had space for two furniture items that had not previously fit but that she had always wanted in her room. In the course of doing this we threw out a lot. We had an old computer box in the garage that we filled to the brim and beyond plus another box. When I took them to the thrift store drop off, I feared the poor man had injured his back when he took the stuff.

One thing we found was a latch hook kit we had gotten her for her room. We originally intended that she complete it and then I could make it into a rug for next to her bed. She got about 1/4 of the way and just lost interest. So it got stuffed into a corner somewhere and we unearthed it that day.

As a kid, I did several latch hook kits. I can clearly remember one that I did for my grandmother hanging on her kitchen wall for a long time. It was of a panda. So I sat it next to my typical seat in the living room and finished it in about 3 nights television time.

It turned out pretty well, I think. Especially considering that I was concerned about how many of the yarn pieces I might have vacuumed up or thrown out over the years. And the fact that I now have the beginnings of arthritus in my knuckles from all the needlework I've done over the years.

So now to make it into a rug which is not something I have ever done. Thankfully there are instructions in the box.

Latch hook is a pretty simple craft. It would be good for elementary age children. And the kits usually are available to appeal to that age as well. They come in Disney characters and other cartoon images. Not to mention some very elaborate more adult images as well.

No comments: