Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday's Menu

I guess I was on a bread kick last week. On Wednesday, I made a braided bread and on Thursday, I made this herb bread.

This was right before the second rising and baking it. I didn't expect it rise quite so much however and so it ended up looking a little like a gigantic muffin instead of an artisan type round. That's okay though. It was still quite yummy. It accompanied our parmesan chicken quite well.

To make it, I just used a basic bread dough recipe (the one found here actually) and threw in about 3 Tablespoons of Italian seasoning. It was fabulous smelling while it was cooking.

When my children came home and asked what it was, I told them it was Italian herb bread. Their faces lit up and they replied, "Like Subway?" If I had thought of it, I might have thrown some cheese on top so it could have been like Subway's Italian herb and cheese bread.

Italian seasoning can actually be used for a lot of things like that. And you don't have to purchase it already mixed together. It's a nice thing to have sitting in your pantry especially if you make your own spaghetti or pizza sauce. Or you can sprinkle it on your meat before cooking it. Or try sprinkling some on a pizza crust that has been lightly brushed with oil or butter before adding the toppings. The possibilities are endless.

And my favorite part: no running to the store for this mysterious mix of herbs because you can mix it up yourself.

Italian Seasoning

3 Tablespoons dried basil
3 Tablespoons dried oregano
3 Tablespoons dried parsley
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I don't keep these on hand so mine didn't include this ingredient)

Mix together all ingredients and store in an airtight jar for up to 6 months. The recipe suggests crushing them together or grinding in a food processor but I chose not to and mine works just fine and tastes good too. You can throw in other herbs as well if you like. That's the beauty of Italian seasoning. And of mixing it yourself.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Thank you so much for this recipe. I have a bottle of Italian seasoning but I never use it because I don't like it. I've often thought that if I would make my own blend, I could make it to taste. Looking at your recipe, now I know why I don't like Italian seasoning. I don't care for thyme and rosemary. I know, I'm weird like that. I'm going to try it but without the thyme and rosemary.

Born Blonde said...

It works just as well without them. I generally have thyme because of another recipe I like to have on hand but I almost never have rosemary and have left it out on occasion too. I hope your blend is just the thing you were looking for! :)