Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, February 1, 2010

Monday's Menu

Well, we got to see The Book of Eli on Friday and I thought it was pretty good. It provided some interesting conversation and discussion later which is always a sign of a well made movie to me. Interesting discussion is NOT "I liked the part where he shot a guy. Let's go get a cheeseburger." but rather about connotations and motivations of pieces of the movie. Hubby didn't like one part near the ending but it didn't bother me too much. And it had a couple of rough scenes, one of which had me studying my pants leg quite intently for a moment or two.

A lot of people think I am rather sensitive to such things though. I just don't think that violent acts should be glorified on screen. Even when they are cast in a negative light, they are still glorified and only serve in numbing us to the true horror of the act. When a filmmaker tries to show that on the screen, we eventually become numb to it which results in the need of filmmakers to show it in an ever increasing level of violence. It becomes a vicious cycle of upping the violence to shock our numbed senses which adjust and require more violence to shock. And because we have become numbed to it, it is the norm for some and they act it out. Some violent acts are horrible enough on their own in reality. And if it is merely referenced, I am an intelligent enough consumer to get what happened without seeing it in its horrific and grim detail.

And that's my 20-second sermon for the day. Back to The Book of Eli -- if you can handle the rough spots, I think you would enjoy the movie. I wouldn't take a youngling to it -- it is rated 'R' for a reason. Anyone who's old enough to legally get in would probably be okay though.

Which, by the way, I have to say I was surprised and pleased to watch as the young man selling tickets asked for and checked the ID's of three girls in front of us in line. It made me feel pretty good to give my theater dollars to a place that actually does what they are supposed to.

Now for the recipe after all that:


I made these the other day and they turned out surprisingly well. It is a combination of two recipes from different places. I hope you enjoy them too.

Streusel Muffins

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional - use any spice or leave it out all together)
1 cup milk or buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

Topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 Tablespoons margarine or butter
1/8 cup chopped nuts (if desired)

Muffins:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, brown sugar and spices in large mixing bowl. In separate bowl, mix together milk, egg, and margarine. Pour into center of dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Batter will be lumpy. Spoon into muffin cups.

Topping:
Mix together brown sugar and flour. Cut in margarine until crumbly. Mix in nuts if desired. Sprinkle on tops of muffin batter in cups.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until pick inserted comes out clean.

No comments: