Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday's Menu

er... or dessert.

I thought you might like the recipe for the Red Velvet cake I used in my Bella cake. The leftover batter gave us a few cupcakes that were quite good if I do say so myself. Frostings vary with this cake. I just used buttercream but I've heard both cream cheese frosting and a regular cooked frosting work well too. It's up to you and based on your personal tastes (at least, in my opinion).

Hope you enjoy it too!

Red Velvet Cake

4 Tablespoons cocoa
1 ounce red food coloring
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 baking soda
1 Tablespoon white vinegar

Grease and flour cake pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the buttermilk, salt, and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside. In mixing bowl, combine oil and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Then mix in the cocoa and food coloring. Blend it well to avoid stripes of color once baked. Beat in the buttermilk mixture alternately with the flour.
Mix together baking soda and vinegar. Fold VERY GENTLY into cake batter.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until pick inserted comes out clean. Avoid overbaking -- cake can become dry if baked too long. Cool completely. Frost as desired.

No comments: