Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, March 29, 2010

Monday's Menu

So you are visiting someone who grew up in the South and lives in the South. This one had to be expected at some point. Hang in there anyway for me, okey doke. After all, I gave you the backstory on hushpuppies. That was fun, right.

This is just good old yummy cornbread. My favorite way to eat it was always crumbled over some pinto beans with a leeeeetle extra bean juice. My grandfather liked to crumble his into a cold glass of milk (or sometimes buttermilk if memory serves).

The pinto bean thing I picked up from my dad. I do believe he thought there was possibly no finer meal than pinto beans and cornbread. If you wanted to really make him happy, you could give him a helping of fried potatoes too.

Now, if you want to do this right, you positively have to cook it in an iron skillet. Sorry. That's just the way it is. However, if you don't have one handy, I promise to look the other way and we just won't tell. (I got cha back.)

So here it is. Now go and impress someone.

Cornbread

1 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
3 Tablespoons fat (you can use oil or bacon grease or other fat)

Stir together cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in bowl. Stir in buttermilk, egg and oil. Pour into greased pan or warmed iron skillet. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments: