Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Taking Care of My Pups

We've been watching (very slowly) the first season of Dog Whisperer on dvd and enjoying it immensely.

When we first got Rocky, we did not research the pushy personality traits of Min Pins, as I've mentioned before. Then we took him for a visit to the vet the first time and the conversation started, "Okay. Here's the thing about min pins..." At that point, I knew we were in trouble.

But the vet did say that if a client comes in who's children are pretty well behaved, then you know the dog is going to be pretty well behaved, etc. So I had hope.

I am the disciplinarian in our family. Hubby would tell you that as well.

There are certain things that if a dog does to me, it's just gonna get whacked. I don't ever agree with being abusive or cruel to an animal. But if the thing snaps at me, he's gonna get reminded where the hand is that feeds him. And quite frankly, that's any dog -- not just ones that belong to me. I'm not mean or harsh but I do think there is an order to things. That order is Master and Pet.

Not only that, I've always felt that the animals liked me more because they know exactly where the boundaries are. They don't change because I'm too tired or I'm feeling more sweet and friendly than usual.

The vet was right, too. My kids are the same way. There are certain things that will cause me to discipline any child around me. Don't get in a huff. Discipline doesn't mean I whack them too (although I haven't ever had any try to bite me either) but a firm reminder that I'm the adult and they are NOT.

One particular little boy went through the various levels of our Sunday School classes recently who was known for being difficult. I never once had to remove him from my class. I let him know I didn't have a problem doing that but I never had to. And honestly, I don't think he ever came close -- even when I was teaching alone. He pushed a few times, found the boundaries stayed there, and even managed to settle down and enjoy himself. I enjoyed having him at the end too. When he could relax, he was a bright, curious little sweetheart.

A few months later, we went to the vet again and I was pleased to hear the vet ask aloud, "What kind of dog are you? You can't be a min pin. You're too well behaved." Of course, he was submissive in part because he wasn't at home but, apparently, that doesn't stop most min pins from attempting to remove a finger or two.

The Dog Whisperer has given me a few ways to be more direct about some of the behaviors he has. One of his favorite things to do is point and give a short "Shh!" sound. As much as we watched of the season so far, I guess it shouldn't be surprising then that I got a little mixed up.

Dude was being a rascal the other day, teasing and picking at me. I got frustrated, pointed at him, and gave him a quick "Shh!" He immediately quieted but not because I was exercising my alpha leader position. His jaw dropped and he gave me a look that suggested he was somewhat offended. He told me, "I am not a dog." I laughed and said, "Then don't act like one." "Mom" was all I got in return. But it worked. He stopped.

No comments: