Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Friday, March 25, 2011

Update

Lest you think I have forgotten I have two other children, let me tell you what they've been up to:

** School:

They are both enjoying using the online virtual school that is available through the public school system here.

The Chick excels at it though. Because we used a similar school when we home schooled her in the 8th grade, she is familiar with the format. She is also very good at working independently and sets herself up to usually have easy Friday's if she has any work left at all. The high school program is also set up differently such that I really am just supervising her but she interacts with and is taught by her teachers on live class connections or by email conversations.

She is doing so well that she was invited to be a peer tutor and participates in that regularly. She often receives emails from her teachers telling her what a good job she is doing. It really seems to be her thing.

The Dude, on the other hand, is having a harder time. This is, in large part, due to the way the middle school is set up. Because he came in with only a semester left and the way the program is set up, he has had to fit a whole year's worth of math and reading into this semester. That makes it harder for him although he's progressing pretty quickly.

He also does not work independently as well. He is more of a goal oriented person. Hubby has a hard time with that because he thinks everyone in the world is motivated the same way he is. I have explained many times that Dude needs specific goals to work toward. When they were both little, I figured out that I could not just say "Go clean your room." I had to say first "Make your bed," then "pick up your toys," and "put away your dirty clothes" ending with "clean off your dresser." The Chick obviously has progressed past needing that in school as she's grown while Dude is still figuring it out. I don't think it will last much longer though. I already see him making the connections sometimes. Since that is a life skill that pretty much everyone needs, I'm considering that a benefit that he might not have gotten in a traditional school setting.

And there again, he's never been home schooled. Typically, I think traditionally schooled kids believe that home schooling just means they do a little worksheet and play Xbox the rest of the day.

Nonetheless, when asked if they wished to do this school again next year, both answered with a resounding 'yes!' We are figuring out any problems. I've been using a planner from this website that I found while home schooling the Chick a few years ago and it has alleviated most of the road bumps for the Dude. I think we'll have it figured out by next school year.

**Other Activities

The Dude has found and joined a Scout group. The organization and logistics is a little lacking (which makes us realize how pampered we were in the other one). Hubby is trying to decide just how pushy he needs to be to make sure things are done a little better (or in some cases correctly according to Scouting regulations).

The Chick will be going on a youth group event in a couple of weeks. Considering their protests against this congregation and wishes to join one of the other two we attended, I am excited to see her request permission to go on this one. It is always easier to go with the familiar so I understand their reticence. But this is probably the congregation we will place our membership with so I am glad to see them beginning to join in.


Other than that, there really isn't much going on. We are so caught up in school that there just isn't time for much more. I am finding myself really looking forward to summer though when we'll be able to do a little more exploring here.

No comments: