Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday's Menu

So.

Many years ago, my son joined the Cub Scouts and I found the joy of chocolate popcorn. You see, the Girl Scouts sell cookies to fund raise. The Boy Scouts, however, sell popcorn.

The first time I heard the term 'Chocolate Popcorn,' I was, to be honest, disgusted. I couldn't think of a better way to destroy two perfectly good things. I couldn't imagine that it might be palatable much less good. Then we got a sample from a gourmet company.

Oh.

My.

Word.

We bought one of the tins (I wasn't completely convinced yet) from my son. I knew Hubby liked it and would eat it if I didn't and we were going to buy something from him anyway. It was gone very quickly. I ended up buying little bags from the dollar store -- the only place I could find it when Scouts weren't selling -- every time I went.

So you can imagine how happy I was to see this post about a cute little baby shower favor holding White Chocolate Popcorn. I decided to make some using both white and milk chocolate. If anything, it is better even than the stuff I was buying.

As evidenced by the fact that a day after I've made it, over half is already gone. Hmmm.

Now I know its not like you don't have all kinds of goodies sitting around after the holiday and after holiday sales but, hey, when you want something else to do with the milk chocolate kisses and eggs, here you go.

I used microwave popcorn because I had it on hand but you can use any kind of popcorn you want. Amounts are kind of subjective. I used about 2/3's of the amount of chocolate called for and it was plenty. Any more would have been too much for me and I actually would have been okay with a little less.

I also used the dipping chocolate you buy in bars because I had it on hand but it is the same as using the bags of chips so whatever you decide to use will work. If you do use chips, though, make sure they are milk chocolate not semi-sweet.

I can imagine that with the white chocolate, you could get all kinds of creative. Imagine the baby shower thing for instance. You could make it in pink tinted chocolate and blue tinted chocolate. Or various holidays --- pink, green, yellow, etc. for Easter, green for St. Patricks, red or pink for Valentines.... See what I'm getting at.

I had intended to have chocolate popcorn with white chocolate drizzles but I didn't think when I was making it and put on the white chocolate first. It would have been better to save my white chocolate for the final drizzling.


Hubby got into the act too. When I was doing the final drizzling, he sprinkled cashews on. They were a tasty addition. Go a little crazy. This recipe has all kinds of possibilities. Enjoy.

Chocolate Popcorn

Approx. 6 - 8 cups popped popcorn (or around 3 microwave bags)
24 - 48 oz. chocolate (white or milk, or a combination)
Optional additions: candies, nuts, etc.

Place popcorn in a large bowl. Working with small amounts, mix in about 2/3 of the chocolate as it is melted. Be very careful not to burn the chocolate. Mix well until popcorn is coated as desired. You may also mix in additions at this point if you wish or sprinkle them on at the end.

Spread popcorn out on waxed paper. Drizzle remaining chocolate on popcorn. Sprinkle any remaining desired additions on popcorn. Allow to sit about an hour or until chocolate has hardened. Break apart. Store in ziploc bags or airtight containers.

1 comment:

Belinda said...

I have done this with the white chocolate (Almond bark) and given as gifts. Just use holiday themed bags or containers. If using the white chocolate you can tint it with food coloring to match the holiday.