Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Personal Study

Thinking back over my prayer journals, one thought comes up a lot. I want to be a better wife and mother.

Lord, help me be a better wife and mother.

Please help me to be the wife and mother they need.

Show me how to be a better wife and mother.

Over and over again. I can't even count, nor would I want to, how many times I've written a variation of this phrase. I think that constant refrain goes through every woman's head but it could just be mine.

So, it occurred to me that maybe I should look into it. There is a description of a woman that begins in Proverbs 31:10 that is THE woman. At least most Christians agree that she is the one we want (or should want) to be like.

I've decided to go through it one verse a week and look into what makes her tick. I can work on the same traits in my own life and maybe feel like I'm getting somewhere. I guess we'll see what happens. Hopefully, God will choose to bless my efforts or help me to understand what I need to improve upon. So, here goes. Feel free to join me.

********************

Proverbs 31:10
Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?
She is more precious than rubies.

Character Traits:
Obviously the character traits that stick out there are 'virtuous' and 'capable.'

Character Trait 1:
Virtuous

Definition:
--Virtuous: moral worth or excellence
translated in the NIV as "noble character"

Verses in the Bible about it:
Proverbs 16:17
The path of the virtuous leads away from evil;whoever follows that path is safe.
Proverbs 21:29
The wicked bluff their way through,but the virtuous think before they act.
Ecclesiastes 7:29
But I did find this: God created people to be virtuous, but they have each turned to follow their own downward path.”
Ecclesiastes 7:29
But I did find this: God created people to be virtuous, but they have each turned to follow their own downward path.”
Psalm 11:7
For the righteous Lord loves justice.The virtuous will see his face.
Psalm 94:15
Judgment will again be founded on justice,and those with virtuous hearts will pursue it.
Ezekiel 16:52
Shame on you! Your sins are so terrible that you make your sisters seem righteous, even virtuous.

Summary:
Things that stick out to me from these verses that Bible Gateway pulled up for me are righteousness, thinking before you act, justice, and following God's path. There were surprisingly few verses with that word in particular in them.

Character Trait 2:
Capable

Definition:
--Capable: having the qualities (as physical or mental power) to do or accomplish something; having qualities or features permitting; able to do one's job well

Verses in the Bible about it:
1 Kings 11:28
Jeroboam was a very capable young man, and when Solomon saw how industrious he was, he put him in charge of the labor force from the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh, the descendants of Joseph.
Exodus 18:21
But select capable men from all the people—men who fear God, trustworthy men who hate dishonest gain—and appoint them as officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens.
1 Chronicles 5:18
[ The Tribes East of the Jordan ] There were 44,760 capable warriors in the armies of Reuben, Gad, and the half-tribe of Manasseh. They were all skilled in combat and armed with shields, swords, and bows.
1 Chronicles 26:8
All of these descendants of Obed-edom, including their sons and grandsons—sixty-two of them in all—were very capable men, well qualified for their work.
Daniel 1:20
Whenever the king consulted them in any matter requiring wisdom and balanced judgment, he found them ten times more capable than any of the magicians and enchanters in his entire kingdom.
1 Chronicles 26:32
There were 2,700 capable men among the relatives of Jeriah. King David sent them to the east side of the Jordan River and put them in charge of the tribes of Reuben and Gad and the half-tribe of Manasseh. They were responsible for all matters related to God and to the king.

Summary:
These verses use words like industrious, trustworthy, fearing God, well qualified, skilled, and responsible. While a lot of the verses talked about being a good soldier in the context, it seemed to be getting at doing well what you have to do. That's a trait I definitely need to work on.

Conclusion for this verse:
So, gathering from that, what this first verse is saying is that a good woman (wife and mother) would be one who is both wise in God's ways (studies her Bible, prays, etc.) and acts on that (showing Godly character in the attitudes she has and the things she does). She is someone who reflects God's light. She is also someone who does the job given to her well, with dignity and skill, taking responsibility for what has been entrusted to her. It might also be suggesting that she makes herself more qualified by learning skills that will help her to do her job.


Comments:
I'm not sure I can master all that in a week. Eek!

No comments: