Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday's Menu

On Friday night, I tried a recipe for Crab Bisque to go with our baked fish. It turned out pretty well but I think I want something a little better. So, I'll keep looking on that one.

However, when I planned the menu for that night, I wanted to keep my little seafood theme going. I decided to try making some cheddar drop biscuits like a popular seafood chain does to go with the fish and bisque.

Now, I have had those biscuits before (albeit some time ago) and I remember thinking at the time -- okay, big whoop. In fact, I remember being slightly offended that they couldn't even take the time to roll out the dough and cut it out like a proper biscuit. I really didn't get what the fuss was about. But my go-to seafood dinner side of hushpuppies didn't really seem like it would work well this time, so I thought I'd give the biscuits a try.

These turned out so well. Everyone raved. I hadn't planned on eating them, based on my previous experience at the restaurant, and I ended up having a couple (or more). They were a hit!

I started with a base recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and mutated it in my own grand tradition. I used the remaining half-and-half that I had from the bisque but I'm sure you could just use all milk too. I probably will next time. While I don't plan to try it, I could see even adding some chopped jalapenos for a little kick. Unfortunately, I am too much of a weenie for that.

I hope you give them a try. Let me know what you thought if you do.



Cheddar Biscuits

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 Tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup half and half (or use all milk)
3/4 to 1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar (or colby jack) cheese


Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in cheese, half and half, and milk to form a soft dough. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto greased pan. Bake about 10 -12 minutes. Peaks will get golden brown. Serve warm.

No comments: