Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, October 3, 2011

Monday's Menu

Recently, I got a copy of the Pioneer Woman's new cookbook. I was already a big fan of her site so her cookbook was a happy addition to my shelf. I had tried a lot of the recipes in it already but I saw this one and decided to try it too.

Until recently, Hubby was the only one who liked apple pie so I would make one occasionally just for him but it wasn't something that showed up a lot. However, sometime last year, the Chick decided that she really liked apple pie (somewhat in thanks to an accidental tasting of one of the McDonald's ones that my mother had purchased -- or at least that's my opinion).

And, of course, the Rugrat will eat anything like that. So, now, Dude and I are outnumbered on the apple pie issue. But, I like this recipe a lot for other reasons...

*Pioneer Woman's recipe makes two flat pies which are the equivalent of one regular sized pie so my halved version below makes one that is equivalent to half a pie. Half a pie equals less of the pie's badness and still getting to enjoy it for them. Plus no chance for part of it to go bad.

*No pan means no pains dealing with getting it in there after rolling it out, no bubbles to be concerned about, less clean up, easier handling the pieces.

*It's Pioneer Woman's so you know it's great anyway.

Plus, I learned a new way to do crusts. Liking this book a lot. I highly recommend getting a copy if you haven't already. It's a lot like her website -- yummy recipes with lots of commentary about her life interspersed.

oops. too much light. sorry.


Flat Apple Pie (Pioneer Woman)

3 peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
1 Tablespoon flour
1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 pie crust
3 Tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir together apples, flour, lemon juice, sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Roll out pie crust into large circle and place on baking sheet. Place apple mixture in center of circle. Fold edges of crust up so that it covers most of the apples leaving center open if desired. Dot top with butter. Bake 30 to 40 minutes until filling is bubbly. Allow to cool slightly before cutting.

No comments: