Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Family Tree (this year)...

You may remember that we have had an ongoing discussion in our household about the live tree versus the fake tree.

You may also remember that I came to the decision that in order to get a big tree to complement my super high ceilings in our home in South Carolina, I decided that I would be willing to compromise and get a fake tree if it was a 9 foot tree. And you may have been as disappointed as I was to learn that they couldn't be had for less $500. I would have had to buy a lot of $60 live trees to come out even.

Possibly you may have rejoiced with me when I found a 9 foot fake tree at the thrift store for $2 as well.

And then, of course, between traveling to China and selling our house so we could move across the country, we didn't get to use our newly purchased 9 foot tree. We only got to have a small potted one.

After moving into our new home, we discovered that we had 9 foot ceilings. Oops. We may have moved that tree for nothing.

But Hubby insisted we at least try and use it. So on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, we gave it a go. Turns out, our ceilings are 9 1/2 feet. The angel on top has her head rubbing the ceiling but it works. And since we already had it up, we just went ahead and decorated it.

So this year marks the advent of two completely new experiences for me. I have never (we're talking since the womb, people):

(A) had a fake Christmas tree.
(B) had a tree up before December.

And I do have to say, it's a beautiful tree. It looks like something from a storybook.







We had a great time. We didn't really get to have much of a Christmas last year. Hubby was already in Oklahoma and we were still in South Carolina. There was no decorating at all, except for our little potted tree. I don't even think we had received any cards when we left -- maybe one or two.

Not that I'm complaining. It was definitely worth it. But I suppose someone could understand why we might be a little excited for Christmas this year.

Rugrat was very excited and kept examining everything.


And she still is. I have caught a lot of glimpses of her checking out the tree.

I told my son that she is worse than a cat. At least the cat can only reach what's on the bottom to slap at and knock off. She's constantly taking things off of all sides. That's okay, though. We just remind her she's not supposed to be playing with them.

And unlike the cat, she can at least put them back.

This is going to be a fun, fun Christmas. I can't wait.

No comments: