Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday's Menu

Last week, I contributed some pies to one of the senior citizen activities at church. I had intended to make a peanut butter pie and an apple pie. When I pulled the apples out of the freezer though, I realized they were cut into chunks rather than sliced. While trying to decide what to do about it, I spied a large bag of frozen blackberries and made this pie instead.

It turned out very pretty; so pretty that I really wanted to take a bite even though I'm not much a fan of blackberries. But I restrained myself.

I often forget about brushing the crust with beaten egg and sprinkling sugar on top when making pies but that adds a certain home-i-ness and flavor that I like a lot. It is a detail I shouldn't overlook when making pies.

I hope you enjoy these if you give it a try.


Blackberry Pie

2 pie crusts
4 cups blackberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 beaten egg
sugar to top

Grease and line a pie plate with one pie crust. Mix together 3 1/2 cups berries with sugar and flour. Pour berry mixture into pie crust. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup berries on top. Gently lay top pie crust over berries. Vent the top crust then seal and crimp the edges. Brush top crust with beaten egg. Sprinkle sugar onto top crust. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes. You may need to allow a little more time for frozen berries.

No comments: