Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, January 20, 2014

Monday's Menu

Ever since I cooked that massive ham, I have been slowly working on the gallon bags of cubed ham in my freezer. This recipe helped out and it was pretty good, if I do say so myself.

It doesn't take quite as long as I usually envision potatoes au gratin taking either. Fortunately, I have a mandolin for slicing things --like potatoes-- nice and thin and uniform. Or it might have taken me slightly longer.

I also didn't bother to peel my potatoes despite the fact that it calls for them to be. I don't think anyone minded though. I sure didn't.

I didn't cook them either. I didn't notice that particular word until after it was in the oven. They were all soft though. They may have been thin enough that it didn't matter. I'm not sure.

The original recipe is here.



Ham and Potatoes Au Gratin

2 cups sliced potatoes
1 cup diced cooked ham
1 Tablespoon finely chopped onion
1/3 cup butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
dash pepper

In a greased 1 quart baking dish, combine potatoes, ham, and onion. In a saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in milk, gradually. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until thick and bubbly. Add cheese, salt and pepper. Continue stirring until cheese is melted. Pour over potatoes and stir gently to mix.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

No comments: