Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Monday's Menu: Tex Mex Skillet

I don't know about you, but I get tired of the same old thing every week for dinner.  Even when I try to shake it up a little, it seems like I end up going back to the same old tried and true meals.

Especially if I don't plan my weekly menu, like this past week. Which means I forget to thaw something for our dinner.

So,  after realizing I had forgotten, I  grabbed some ground beef while doing my grocery run. Problem solved.

Except, what should I do with it? A quick search later and this Skillet meal sounded like a good option.



And it was. We all enjoyed it. It can be eaten alone or with tortilla chips. Or, like we did, with a hot cake of homemade cornbread.

Give it a try!

Tex Mex Skillet 

1 lb. Ground beef
2-4 Tablespoons taco seasoning
1 10-oz. Can enchilada sauce (or equivalent homemade)
1 cup water
3/4 cup rice, rinsed
2 oz. Cream cheese, softened
1 cup pinto beans, cooked and drained
1/2 cup frozen sweet corn
1 cup shredded cheese
1 4-oz. Can diced green chilies (if desired)

In a 10 inch oven safe skillet, cook the ground beef until browned. Drain excess fat. Mix in taco seasoning, enchilada sauce, water, and rice. Mix well. Cover and simmer about 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender.  The rice may stick to the bottom of the skillet. If so, just scrape it off the bottom with a spoon or spatula.

Once the rice is tender, stir in the cream cheese. Add the corn, beans, and diced chilies, if desired. Mix well.  Top with the shredded cheese.

Broil 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.

No comments: