Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Oh, Those Jars!

 The day before I left for a weekend visit to my mom's, I found six cucumbers waiting to be picked. I popped them in the fridge and when we returned, I pulled off 2 more monster ones.

This is my first year growing cucumbers and I had never pickled any either. Unless you count cutting up the half a cucumber left from making tzatziki sauce and dropping it into a jar of brine left over from the store bought pickles we had already eaten.

Rugrat and I discovered bread and butter pickles some time ago and that's what we had determined to make with a lot of the cucumbers.

In fact, I told her to just call the bush what it was -- a pickle bush. The only other way we eat cucumbers around here is in tzatziki sauce so I figured we should just be real about it. :)

So, the problem with never having made any is that there are SOOOOOO many recipes (even tested, tried and true safe ones). You can take your pick.

So I did. I have since canned a different recipe. I am marking where it comes from on the lid so we can compare and decide which we like best. I also got smart and marked the date I canned on the paper copy of the recipe just in case it gets rubbed off the lid. 

So this is my first attempt and first recipe set. The ones in the front are bread and butter pickles. I used the 2 monsters to make some dill spears (ones in the back) as Hubby requested.



Don't worry. Even though I only made a half recipe of each, it still made more than 2 jars total. I just took a picture of the main two kinds. So now we wait as suggested. In about 3 weeks (or 2 now), these will have had time to allow the flavors to blend together and do their thing. Then we'll give 'em a try.

Although I will confess to trying the tiny part of a jar that was left over after filling all these jars. I just put the partial in the fridge and gave them a try last night. I was really surprised to find that they tasted like a bread and butter pickle. I don't know why really. I guess I didn't quite trust all those recipes that are out there or something. 

So I know at least one recipe is pretty good already. Hey hey!

And if you've never looked in your pantry and admired all the jars of food you've put away,... well,... let me just say -- you're missing out, baby!

No comments: