Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Home School Question

So, I was listening to Focus on the Family the other day and they were talking about making the choice to public, private, or home school. They didn't pick on one or the other. It was a "just the facts, ma'am" kind of thing. And it was rather timely because we have been going back and forth about whether to home school my daughter next year.

I have had some dissatisfaction with their private school lately. They are growing so fast they just aren't keeping up with some of the core principles. For example, they've managed to add a football team this year but they couldn't manage to hire a second 4th grade teacher so my son's class wouldn't be the same size as a small public school class. Don't get me wrong. I was very excited about the football team. I've suggested that they work towards that goal for many years on the parent surveys. BUT small class size is about my number one priority and its something that they list as a benefit of the school. So I don't think its unreasonable to assume that it would be their priority as well. 12-15 is optimum for a class size, so double that is not really making me happy. I've also noticed that my daughter's class tends to have little 'friend groups' that make her feel excluded a lot even though she's been there as long or longer than a lot of the kids. I guess that's something you just can't avoid. And I suppose its not as bad as it could be but it still frustrates me.

On the radio broadcast, they mentioned something called virtual schools. My big problem with home schooling has always been dealing with lesson plans and paperwork. Virtual schools are ones where the child just logs into their classroom and does the assignments. The parent is still responsible for working with them but the daily stuff is all ready to go. Problem solved. I looked up a couple and found one that sounded fabulous. For the cost of one month and a half of private school tuition, her virtual school would be paid for the year. And they send you everything, all the books, workbooks, and even some cd's with videos that are used during the curriculum. I don't think that could be much easier.

So I was about a smidge from deciding to do it, when BAM! Something she has been wanting for about a year now showed up. The school started a track team. She was the only girl in her grade to go to the information meeting last Friday and the only girl period who showed up for the first practice yesterday (she thought the other girls might have misunderstood when it was). After an hour and half of running, she got in the car and told me IT WAS FUN. What kind of maniac says that! So now I'm torn.

The last time we seriously considered home school, we asked God what He wanted. And suddenly the money for tuition showed up and obstacles to home schooling did as well. This time we're seriously considering it and now I wonder if He brought about track as a way of telling us "No, not right now."

So where do you stand on the home school, private school, public school question? Help me out, please!

4 comments:

Carol said...

You pose quite the question here. Being an educator, both teacher and administrator I have worked most of my career in the private sector. So I tend to lean that way, BUT not all schools are right for all kids and parents need to exercise their choices. My advice is to research, research, research before embarking on home schooling. If your daughter is happy how about homeschooling your son only first. Find out if your kids can participate in after school activties without being registered students, some schools allow this. Email me if you want!

Born Blonde said...

I hadn't thought of the possibility of participating in activities without being registered students. Thanks!

Ann said...

Actually, I believe, too, that by law you are allowed to participate in public school activities- but I might be wrong. I know that our children in private school can be tested for disabilities at their "home" public school. And the local Summerville community may have a track program, too-

I'm an advocate of "there's a school for every child", and maybe for yours it's at home. Just DO THE RESEARCH before you jump- which I know you'll do! See if you can find someone who actually uses this curriculum you found. And talk to folks at church who homeschool and find out the pros/cons- I also know people outside of our church who HS, if you want to talk to them.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelia.......
Well, you know how *we* feel about homeschooling! :) Praying that you continue to pray on the issue and that God will lead you to your answer.

You can always email me!