Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Saturday, April 26, 2008

I Am Very Impressed With Myself

I finally did it. I made my own laundry soap. And it seems to work. It smells really good too.


I knew it was supposed to be simple. The hardest part was finding the washing soda (not baking soda) which I finally found (after calling the company) at our friendly neighborhood Publix store. I should have known.

I used my 99 cent thrift store salad shooter to grate the soap but I think next time I'll use a manual one for grating harder cheeses so it will come out in smaller shavings. Probably the next most difficult part which really isn't difficult at all.


See what I mean about the shavings being too large -- at least in the powder version. It didn't seem to affect its ability to work though. I've used it on two loads so far. And it worked very nicely.

The best part is that according to my calculations this amount of laundry powder costs me $1.93. That's pretty good considering you only use 2 Tablespoons at a time. Add to that the fact that its natural and doesn't harm us or the earth, well I'm not sure I can beat it. I am keeping track of how many loads I get out of this amount so I'll have a better basis for comparison. But so far I'm impressed.

I also made the liquid detergent. It is suggested that you use the liquid for removing stains and make the powder (because its so easy) for everyday use. The liquid requires a little cooking though.The detergents aren't supposed to make much if any lather but you can see I didn't really have a problem with that. I'll probably make some more homemade detergent. I still have enough borax and washing soda for plenty more. So I'll only have to buy another bar of soap which came in at an eye-popping 70 cents. If you want to try it or read some more about homemade cleaning recipes, you can click here. Let me know if you try them and how they work for you. I've gone a little greener myself.

3 comments:

junglemama said...

Cool! Was it worth the work?

Born Blonde said...

Making both only took about 30 min. so there really wasn't much work to it, especially using the electric grater. So...yeah, I think so. :)

bekster said...

That's so cool!