Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, August 11, 2008

Monday's Meal

Hello. My name is Bornblonde and I am a cheese enchilada addict.

What makes this worse is that I absolutely cannot make the things. At least not like Hacienda or Los Arcos or Los Reyes or any of those other Mexican restaurants. This is almost always what I order when we go. I can't remember the last time I ordered something else. Often they have a three enchilada combination and I seriously dig in. The chicken and beef are good but there is nothing like a cheese enchilada in my mind. I have tried several times to make them and they just aren't as good. The other night, though, I made some that hit the mark and I was really wishing I had made a whole lot of them. Unfortunately, I had only made one for each of us thanks to my past failures.

Guess what the secret (at least with these) was. Canned enchilada sauce -- Old El Paso was what I used. Well, if I figure out how to duplicate that, I'll let you know. But until then, use the canned stuff and do this. Amounts are based on how many you want to make.

Cheese Enchiladas

Flour tortillas
Shredded monterey jack cheese
Enchilada sauce

Preheat your oven to 375. Grease a casserole dish. Spread a little enchilada sauce on the bottom of the dish (I only made a few so I only used about 2 or 3 tablespoons on the bottom). This doesn't need to be thick -- just a little on the bottom for them to soak up and not burn or dry out. Lay out a tortilla. You may want to warm it so it won't break but that's up to you. Put cheese on the tortilla and roll. You are basically making a tube with filling. Place it seam side down in the dish. Repeat to roll remaining enchiladas. Spread sauce on top of the enchiladas. Be sure to get the ends or they will be crispy when it comes out of the oven. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Bake until cheese is melted and sauce on the bottom is bubbling, about 15 or 20 minutes. Serve.

No comments: