Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, November 3, 2008

Monday's Meal

Make sure you sign up for my 200th post GIVEAWAY! Everyone is eligible. It ends today though so sign up now.

My husband is not a fan of traditional corn bread stuffing (or dressing depending on where in the country you live). I usually make some every Thanksgiving and he will obligingly put about 2 tablespoons on his plate. But he really, really doesn't like it -- especially if it is very wet. Then he just won't even touch it.

Mine has always been pretty dry because I sometimes like to mix in a little brown gravy as I eat it. But I don't do wet bread in any form. If you ever want to hear me gag, just put a piece of bread that has gotten some water on it in my hand. The very thought makes me want to retch.

So last year, I decided to look for a recipe that was a little different and see what he thought of it. This is the one I found. He was very interested in it while I was making it. At dinner, when he tried it, he decided it was good enough that he later helped finish off the leftovers and has mentioned it once or twice since. Just so you don't think my opinion jaded by his, I had to work that Thanksgiving evening with my boss. She is an early 20-something that, for one of the first times, wasn't able to go home for Thanksgiving. As a mother and a friend, I took pity on her and brought her a sampler plate of our Thanksgiving dinner. She also raved about it and quizzed me about what all was in it.

I had intended to also add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to the stuffing but forgot so we went without. But I think that would be really good, so if one of you try it, let me know what you think. The ingredients are fairly simple. The base for it is the same (corn bread) but the rice and mushrooms give it an extra oomph. It doesn't tell how long or even what temperature to bake it at. That's my addition. I usually bake it until it is warmed through and a little crusty on top. But however you like is what works best. And I don't know who Amber is either so I can't ask. Enjoy.


Amber's Super Stuffing

2 1/4 cups chicken stock/broth
1/4 cup wild rice
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
2 cups diced celery
1 cup chopped onion
4 cups corn bread stuffing mix
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning

In medium sized saucepan, combine the chicken stock and wild rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer until rice is tender.

In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms, celery, and onion. Saute until vegetables are tender.

In a large bowl, mix the cornbread stuffing and poultry seasoning. Add the rice and vegetables with liquids. Mix well. Use to stuff a turkey or bake in greased dish at 350 until done. More chicken stock can be added if stuffing is too dry.

No comments: