Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Friday, June 26, 2009

Hidden

For the last several months, I've been in limbo. Even though nothing really changed, my spiritual life has felt somewhat... stagnant, for lack of a better word. I wondered what was going on. I asked God to show me what was missing.

I remember a friend telling me that her husband suddenly realized he was miserable at his job. After much study, he decided that God had given him a talent that he wasn't using. As a result, he felt that God had decided to show him just how unhappy he could be outside of God's will. He became convicted that he needed to step out in faith and make use of his God-given talent. He quit his job, got the training he needed, and is now one of the foremost artisans in his field. He has received multiple prestigious awards, has been published in magazines, and is now in a position to be at home with his family, working at a craft that is his dream. And doing it to honor God.

While I haven't been miserable and I am convinced that God has placed me in the position I have at work, I have been feeling like I'm waiting for something. A couple of weeks ago, I found myself listening to a lesson on talents. Then I found myself reading an article about people who found a place where they were needed and were using their talents to make a difference. Last week, I went to Impact Jr. and found that I was sitting in a lesson about hidden talents. Some of the ones he listed were talents for things like lying or other sins. But he also pointed out that sometimes the talents were ones that honored God. Again, last night the same subject came up. And even more. It has been popping up again and again.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if there is a talent that God has given me that I'm not using. I can't imagine what it would be though. I even took one of those spiritual gifts tests. It just told me that I had the gifts of organization and writing -- not really a surprise much. So now I'm wondering what particular ministry that I'm supposed to be involved in. Or if there really is something I'm missing. I can't imagine what on earth it could be though. And all I have been able to do is ask God for clarity about it.

What about you guys? Any ideas?

1 comment:

bekster said...

There are already many talents that I know you have--cooking/baking, sewing, doing lots of things with books, taking care of various kinds of animals, figuring out ways to save money, etc.--and I'm sure there are many more that I have missed. However, as much as it sounds like a cop out, I believe that it is not up to you to wrack your brain trying to figure out what God wants you to do. I have found that, in situations like that where the same idea keeps popping up, usually the answer just comes without specifically having to figure it out. If God wants to use you for something, He will. You just need to be ready to answer when He calls.

I have been having some spiritual stirrings as well lately, and I admit that I have had several chances to "answer"... but I completely chickened out at the time. Still, it has become obvious to me that God will put me where He needs me when the time is right. I just wasn't sure what the "call" was going to look like. Now I do (I think), so I'm trying to be ready.

Anyway, like I said, I already know that you are a very talented person. You are also resourceful, which means that in any given situation, you'll figure out a good way to handle it on the spot. At the time, you might not even realize you are doing it, so it wouldn't surprise me for you to just stumble upon the answer while trying to solve some random problem that presents itself.

Still, I'll be curious to know what it is once you do find it. :)