Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday's Menu

On Thursday night, I tried a different version of a recipe I haven't tried in a long while. And I'm going to say that it was a success, particularly after my children wolfed them down the next morning and have since requested them yet again.

I've talked about breakfast ideas before here, however, these can be used for both breakfasts and, with a little variation, for a lunch/dinner idea as well.

Breakfast, as I've explained, is difficult for us because we only have so much time and we all want something more than cereal whenever possible. None of us are really big on cereal. So we need something filling and something convenient. That's a big setup for overspending right there, if you ask me.

Hot Pockets are little 'pockets' of various fillings sold in the freezer section of the grocery store. We all love them -- in both the regular and breakfast varieties.

I decided to try this homemade version that I found in my Real Food 4 Real People email newsletter. And unlike the last time I tried making them, the kids really liked them.

It starts, of course, with the pocket makings -- the bread:

The note on the recipe also says that any good bread recipe would work and that she has used frozen bread dough with success as well.

For the breakfast ones, you want to use breakfast meat. I used a pound of sausage although I imagine that bacon or even ham would be quite good too.

Then you add hashbrowns, eggs, and some seasonings.

I know. It doesn't look terribly appetizing (which may be why they thought to cover it with bread in the first place) but it was. And it smelled incredible.

Yes, I did switch to a different skillet. I didn't realize at the beginning just how many pockets it makes and, therefore, how much filling I needed. I even cut it back some because I wanted to try a lunch variation on a couple.

When that's all cooked and ready, you remove it from the heat, sprinkle on some cheese (we used Swiss) and set it aside to melt.

Then you go to work on your bread. Divide it up and roll out each circle into about 6 inches or so. Dollop enough filling on and fold over the circle on top of it.

Mmm. Melted swiss.

Now, looking at the picture below, you may think to yourself that those things look familiar.

If your grandma ever made fried pies, that's why. Same concept. Different materials. My grandma used to make some chocolate ones that were soooo goood. It's probably a good thing I don't have that recipe or I'd be big as a barn.

Here's one of my variation ones. I mixed a little chopped pepperoni, some spaghetti sauce, and some mozzarella. Voila.

My children immediately claimed them the next morning for their lunch boxes.

Here they are all baked up. Once they cooled, I put them in ziploc bags and froze them.

To reheat, you just wrap one in a paper towel and microwave about 2 minutes (hmmm, just like the store ones).

I had 15 left (Hubby ate one right out of the oven) -- the majority of which made it to my freezer for a quick, hearty breakfast.

Some of the other fillings I've thought of and want to try:

Ham and cheddar or swiss
Philly steak/steakum and provolone
Sausage pizza ones
Possibly a 2 meat pizza one
Chicken, broccoli, and cheese
BBQ

The possibilities are endless -- whatever sounds good to you. I hope you'll try them too.

Pockets

2 pkgs (1 1/2 Tablespoons) yeast
1/2 cups warm water
3/4 cup evaporated milk (I just used skim milk)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups flour

Breakfast Filling:
1 lb. sausage or bacon
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 1/2 cups frozen, shredded hashbrowns -- thawed
7 eggs, lightly beaten
3 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper, and garlic powder
pinch cayenne pepper
3 cups shredded cheese

In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add evaporated milk, oil, sugar, egg, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough flour to make a soft dough (do NOT knead). Cover and let rise 1 hour.

Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the sausage and onion. Drain. Add the hashbrowns, eggs, milk, and seasonings. Cook, stirring, until eggs are cooked through and set. Sprinkle with cheese, remove from heat.

Punch dough down and divide into 16 pieces. Roll each piece into a 6 or 7 - inch circle. Top each with about 1/3 cup filling. Fold dough over filling and pinch edges to seal. Place on baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

To freeze: Place cooled, baked pockets onto baking sheet and freeze. Transfer to labeled zip bags. Good for 3 to 6 months.
To reheat in oven: Thaw in refrigerator overnight and bake at 350 degrees for 5 - 10 minutes or until warmed through.
To reheat in microwave: Wrap individual pocket in paper towel and cook on high for approximately 2 minutes or until warmed through.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've made these for my kids and they were very well received. I did pizza filling. I think you could use leftover meat from dinner (like roast beef or ham) to make pockets. It would be a different way to use up leftovers and it makes for a quick meal later.
(Of course, this is Amanda, not Jesse).