Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Monday, December 13, 2010

Monday's Menu


As we continue to empty the freezer in anticipation of moving, I'm finding that the pickin's are gettin' slim. Actually, I've begun working on what is in the door more aggressively. That is pretty much pepperoni, chocolate chips, a 1/4 bag of shredded hash browns, chopped celery, and a bag of cranberries.

Every year, about this time, cranberries go on sale for a very good price. I often get a bag to throw in the freezer when they are rock bottom prices. It is not because I like them though. Hubby, on the other hand, does so I make him some cranberry apple bars or some such thing.

I was surfing the web a week or two ago and came across this recipe. I am a fan of quick breads and Hubby is as well so I thought I'd try it. I waited until yesterday to do so though so I could take it to Life Group since none of us eat cranberries and Hubby isn't here to chow down. I'll be making some more because it only used half of the bag. Maybe I'll donate some mini-loaves to our basket ministry at church.

When I described the recipe to Hubby on the phone, I could hear him drooling so I feel pretty certain he'll like it. I did notice one of my lifegroupers spreading some cream cheese on one. It looked good enough that I was wishing I did like cranberries. I may give in and try it anyway.

The original recipe can be found here -- or, according to the comments on it, on the back of the cranberry bag. I didn't check to be sure. Let me know if you try it out and how you like it.

Cranberry Nut Bread

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup orange juice.
1 Tablespoon grated orange peel
2 Tablespoons shortening (I used melted margarine)
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped nuts ( I used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Stir in orange juice, peel, shortening and egg. Mix well. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Spread evenly in loaf pan. Bake 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes then remove from pan and cool completely. Wrap and store overnight.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

That looks SO good. Orange and cranberry make a great flavor combination. The orange takes the edge off the cranberries without excessive amounts of sugar.