Featured Post

A Little Change

 I have finally finished organizing all those recipes. You will now find tabs at the top (look up) leading to individual recipe categories. ...

Verses

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9

Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished! Luke 1:45

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Proverbs 31 Woman

Thinking back over my prayer journals, one thought comes up a lot. I want to be a better wife and mother. There is a description of a woman that begins in Proverbs 31:10 that is THE woman. I've decided to go through it one verse a week and look into what makes her tick. I can work on the same traits in my own life and maybe feel like I'm getting somewhere. Join me on Thursdays when I'll share this week's verse.

See verse 10 here.

See verse 11 here.

*********************************

Proverbs 31:12

She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.


Character Traits:
The phrase “good, not harm” stands out.

Character Trait 1:
bringing good

Definition:
--of a favorable character or tendency; based on sound reasoning, information, judgment, or grounds; conforming to a standard; benevolent; something useful or desirable

Verses in the Bible about it:
Psalm 101:2
I will be careful to lead a blameless life— when will you come to me? I will conduct the affairs of my house with a blameless heart.
1 Timothy 4:12

Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.

1 Corinthians 10:31

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Summary:
Sometimes it’s hard to find verses that are definitive even though when a reader sees a phrase like this they tend to know exactly what it means. Bringing good not harm is pretty self-explanatory. A woman does not want to do anything that will cause harm to come to her family or household, particularly by her own selfishness or lack of care.

Comments:
I think this verse can probably be summed up in the Corinthians verse above. If you’re doing it all for the glory of God, you’re not going to be bringing harm. One of the exceptions might be when a wife/mother gets confused about what she should place priority on. Putting ministries ahead of doing the job God has given you as your primary one could cause harm to your husband and family.

Still, it seems obvious that putting the needs of others first is inherent in this phrase. Bringing good would suggest, in a very practical way, working to build up and encourage your husband and children both at home and in the community as well as taking care of financial and practical aspects of your day-to-day living without putting strain on the household (like following the budget rather than excessive spending, for example). Taking care of all the details that a family has to deal with can be strenuous and draining. It almost makes me think of a secretary who is loving. The adage that “a mother is the heart of the home” jumps to mind.

This may be my personal verse, I’m thinking. I knew I’d find one that stepped on my toes pretty hard. J

No comments: